Physical medicine, or physiatry, involves the diagnosis, treatment, and prevention of a variety of conditions and diseases that affect bones, ligaments, muscles, tendons, the brain, spinal cord, and nerves. If you suffer from chronic pain or other uncomfortable symptoms, your physical medicine provider in Blue Springs, MO, can get to the source of your pain and help you manage it. Here’s what to expect at a physiatry appointment at Core Medical Center.
What Do You Wish to Achieve by Visiting a Physiatrist?
Your goals of pain reduction, increased mobility, and optimal health are also the goals of your physical medicine doctor. Physiatrists are highly trained physicians who focus on the overall health of patients. In other words, these health providers have a holistic approach to patient care.
Plus, like you, they wish to use treatment methods that are as minimally invasive as possible. As such, they coordinate non-opioid prescriptions with chiropractic care, physical therapy, occupational therapy, and more to ensure your pain and other symptoms are evaluated and treated properly with the best possible treatments available.
What Can You Expect at Your Appointment?
When you visit a physiatrist, you can expect:
- A comprehensive review of your medical history, including past surgeries, medications, and your current symptoms
- A hands-on examination of the area of pain and the tissues surrounding it
- Lab work
- X-rays and other kinds of digital imaging (CT scans, MRIs), as needed
- Electromyography (EMG), a test of the electrical conductivity of nerves and muscles
- Gait and range of motion analysis (a computerized look at how your body moves)
- Balance testing
From there, your doctor may recommend physical therapy, occupational therapy, a chiropractic evaluation, or input from other medical specialists to complete the diagnostic process. The final result will be the creation of a care plan that promotes total wellness, optimal function, and pain management.
What Does A Physical Medicine Doctor Treat?
At Core Medical Center, our doctors provide diagnosis and treatment for a whole host of medical conditions, including:
- Osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis
- Lower back pain
- Neck pain
- Radiculopathy (pinched nerves in the spine)
- Carpal tunnel syndrome (CTS)
- Spinal stenosis
- Sports injuries to both hard and soft tissues
- Herniated discs
- Workplace and sports injuries
- Stroke or other medical condition that affects nerve function
While surgery is not the first choice of physiatrists, they do not always rule out the possibility. However, these non- or less-invasive services are more likely to be part of a patient care plan:
- Non-opioid pain relievers
- Therapeutic exercise
- Weight management
- Orthotics (customized shoe inserts)
- Assistive devices
- Ultrasound therapy
- Soft tissue and joint injections
Getting to The Heart of The Problem and to The Healthiest You
Physical medicine at Core Medical Center in Blue Springs, MO, is available to patients of all ages. We value healthy living, great bodily function, and excellent doctor-patient communication.
If you wish to schedule an appointment with Dr. Paul Doshey, Dr. Aston Goldsworthy, or Dr. Patrick Goldsworthy, please contact our office today at (816) 427-0201, or request an appointment online. We look forward to serving you.